Saturday, 4 April 2009
The glorious world of books.
The Daily Mail is up in arms. For once, it's not screaming about how we're being overrun by homosexual Asian teenage mothers, but about the amount children these days read. Or, rather, what they read. According to its statistics, 1 in 5 children only read blogs or internet articles. So, if you're reading this, go and read a book. Geeze. Illiterate fools you must be. Ironically, I read this statistic on the Daily Mail's website*. How awful of me. I should have popped down to my local Spar and forked out for a copy of the newspaper instead. That's much more environmentally friendly and certainly more beneficial in terms of time management. But I digress.
Seriously, Daily Mail, why do you make out that children these days are all illegitimate, illiterate and allergic to learning? It's just not true. I'm not illegitimate. My parents weren't 14 when they copulated behind some bike sheds and conceived me. I learnt to read before I was 3, and was reading adult literature by 13. I'm not stupid. Sure, I'm not a genius, but I can read, and surely I have the right to choose what I read. If I find it more convenient to switch on the computer and read an article about craniofacial duplication, as opposed to ordering a copy of Craniomaxillofacial Surgery Weekly, then I'll jolly well do so. Children learn just as much from reading internet articles and blogs. Blogs are just the humble opinions of an ordinary person (usually). What's travel writing? The same thing. Just because one is found on a screen and one is found on paper, doesn't mean they don't have the same educational value. Of course, some blogs are durge, and just 'talkk abowt wot i fink of de wrld bcz i av lived such a gd lyf lolll', but then so do many books (Twilight, anyone?).
In a nutshell, Daily Mail, if you want non-fascist readers such as myself to take what you print seriously, please stop printing stories about how gay people are stealing** and raping*** all our children, how all Asians blow themselves up on public transport and steal white peoples' money****, and how my generation is beyond saving*****.


* http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1167284/Books-left-shelf-A-fifth-pupils-read-blogs-magazines.html
**http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1024956/Catholic-adoption-agency-defy-gay-rights-law.html
***http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1126918/Gay-paedophile-lovers-abused-boys-flat-allowed-share-human-rights-legislation.html
****http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1004282/At-truth-immigration.html
*****http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-559725/The-generation-doomed-life-poverty-crime-tender-age-three.html

Labels: ,

posted by AnwenKya at 13:46 -
3 Comments:
  • At 5 April 2009 at 11:12, Blogger Cerisier said…

    LOL
    As far as Catholicism is concerned, I'm the worst kind of bastard imaginable, seeing as both my parents divorced their first spouses before marrying each other. :P

    I looked up the Daily Mail's history, and sure enough, it was supportive of both Hitler and Mussolini in the 1930s.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Mail#Inter-war_period

     
  • At 5 April 2009 at 11:15, Blogger Cerisier said…

    Well, I could be worse... At least I was born within wedlock. Though, frankly, it wouldn't have mattered that much. My folks weren't exactly teens when they had my brother and me.

     
  • At 6 April 2009 at 09:26, Blogger AnwenKya said…

    1. - There's a surprise... Daily Mail? Daily Fascist, more like.

    2. - Ahh, but you're not gay or Asian and you don't scrounge off the state :P so the Daily Mail won't send out their hit squad just yet.

     

Post a Comment


About Me
Name: AnwenKya
Home:
Cardiff
About Me:
I am a 5ft blonde teenager with an overactive imagination, bad temper and terrifying sense of humour. Hear me roar!
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Credits


background by tayler